The place to be for European rodbuilders

for international Customers and rodbuilders
Eric le Rouche

Re: The place to be for European rodbuilders

Message par Eric le Rouche »

Hey Slaz,

Don't worry too much about not speaking French. Most of the guys here don't, even though they have no excuse.

You question was : are RX8 blanks worth the extra buck ? Here's the helpful answer : it depends.

If sensitivity and reactivity are not on top of your agenda, then some other blank will do.

But if you like fishing with a featherlight rod that has enough power to haul up BIG fish (I'm talking walleye, pike, seabass and so on), and capable of transferring the least bit of information to you, then, yes, RX8 blanks make a huge difference from production rods.

The one blank most of the guys here are using is the RX8 XSW68MX. We've all had the same reaction when we first tried that blank : it's simply more reactive and sensitive than any production rod we've ever tried. It's a great caster and it's got balls when you need them. It's a great all-rounder for most of us.

So if you are looking for a blank that will allow you to use 10/30gr heads in vertical fishing (plus the weight of the soft plastic itself) and cast lures in the 10/30gr range, then the XSW68MX is definitely something you should look into.
Zzzzzzzz... Zzzzzzzziiiiiiii.... PENDU !!!
Ah non, accroché. Pardon.

Slaz

Message par Slaz »

Eric le Rouche a écrit :Hey Slaz,

Don't worry too much about not speaking French. Most of the guys here don't, even though they have no excuse.

You question was : are RX8 blanks worth the extra buck ? Here's the helpful answer : it depends.

If sensitivity and reactivity are not on top of your agenda, then some other blank will do.

But if you like fishing with a featherlight rod that has enough power to haul up BIG fish (I'm talking walleye, pike, seabass and so on), and capable of transferring the least bit of information to you, then, yes, RX8 blanks make a huge difference from production rods.

The one blank most of the guys here are using is the RX8 XSW68MX. We've all had the same reaction when we first tried that blank : it's simply more reactive and sensitive than any production rod we've ever tried. It's a great caster and it's got balls when you need them. It's a great all-rounder for most of us.

So if you are looking for a blank that will allow you to use 10/30gr heads in vertical fishing (plus the weight of the soft plastic itself) and cast lures in the 10/30gr range, then the XSW68MX is definitely something you should look into.
Eric!
Tanks for the well explained answer. And your effort to be not that popular among your forum countrymen. :D
Well, to be serious it seems like this blank would be the holy grail I been looking for. I just have to get me a few to play around with. The only thing would be the length of the blank. To be used mainly on smaller boats it would be more appropriate to keep it under 1.90 m. And I hate to put the saw in something that work great in design. Do you have any experience what happens when this stick is cut shorter? Does it loose a lot of power and feeling?
And if you or somebody in the forum could show me a picture of a solution for a full handle for a XSW68MX, I would be grateful. :) I don't really get the hype with skeleton reel handles.
And once more Eric ,tanks for the informative explanation. 8-)

Eric le Rouche

Hey Slaz,

The pleasure is mine. And it's always a pleasure to p*ss on my fellow countrymen's backs and tell them it's raining. Just kidding. :mrgreen:

Cutting the blank : not a problem to cut 10cm off the butt of the blank. Doesn't change the action very much and doesn't take away anything in terms of sensitivity. Cutting the tip, of course, if a different can of worms. I wouldn't advise it.

Handle : if I get it right, you don't mean to set it up for a spinning reel, right ? Many 68MXs here have been set up in both fashions. You'll find pics in the section called "Vos réalisations", then look for anything with 68MX in the title. That should be no more than 600 topics... :mrgreen:

Slaz

Message par Slaz »

Eric le Rouche a écrit :Hey Slaz,

The pleasure is mine. And it's always a pleasure to p*ss on my fellow countrymen's backs and tell them it's raining. Just kidding. :mrgreen:

Cutting the blank : not a problem to cut 10cm off the butt of the blank. Doesn't change the action very much and doesn't take away anything in terms of sensitivity. Cutting the tip, of course, if a different can of worms. I wouldn't advise it.

Handle : if I get it right, you don't mean to set it up for a spinning reel, right ? Many 68MXs here have been set up in both fashions. You'll find pics in the section called "Vos réalisations", then look for anything with 68MX in the title. That should be no more than 600 topics... :mrgreen:
"Vos Realisation" is da shit :mrgreen: ..... Tanks! A lot of skeletons and split grips. Nice! 8-)
Yes, my acquainted where very specific that the rod should be for a spinning reel not a bait caster. And can just assent to that. The trend are slowly turning here in Sweden where almost everyone use bait casting reels for vertical fishing. Not that ergonomic if you think about it. IMO better to work for mother nature than against her, But that's just my 5 cents.
Myself I have a hip of nice bait casters from the major manufactures lying around but a rarely use them, so better to let them go and get some shiny spinning gear.
Anyway Eric, you been really nice to a blood thirsty Viking like me, if there'a anything I can do for you let me know. :)

goulven
Site Admin

Message par goulven »

a solution for a full handle for a XSW68MX,
Hi,

the way i build my own handles :

http://www.rodhouse.fr/fr/kits-rodhouse ... 18175.html

long eva grip, you cut it at the lenght you want, best eva quality available (so hard you can use them to fight with the numerous bears living in your country), longs grips are definitively better for rod balance, no matters with rings size, blank protected, i no longer build anything in split grip exept rods for shows ...

you 'll just had to short kdps, eva grip for kdps and ips screw to put the finger on the blank, it would be a blasphemy to do not with such a blank.

Guide pack in KR concept :

http://www.rodhouse.fr/fr/262-packs-kr-concept

7' power M or L (running guides in 5 or 4.5,to define according to your fisheries)

top in MNAT 5-.2, BMNAT 5-2 or MNST5-2 (or titanium ...)

http://www.rodhouse.fr/fr/57-serie-mn
www.rodhouse.fr

tout le matériel pour fabriquer sa propre canne à pêche

Self-Made-Fisherman

Eric le Rouche

Real vikings fight bears bare-knuckled. Any viking who tells you he needs a rod to fight a bear is a big sissy.

LeMoutch
Team RodHouse

Message par LeMoutch »

Eric le Rouche a écrit :Real vikings fight bears bare-knuckled. Any viking who tells you he needs a rod to fight a bear is a big sissy.
oh my. someone's forgotten to take his pills again, it seems...
:roll:
If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies.
Le Mouching
http://g0nefishin9.wordpress.com/

Slaz

Message par Slaz »

goulven a écrit :
a solution for a full handle for a XSW68MX,
Hi,

the way i build my own handles :

http://www.rodhouse.fr/fr/kits-rodhouse ... 18175.html

long eva grip, you cut it at the lenght you want, best eva quality available (so hard you can use them to fight with the numerous bears living in your country), longs grips are definitively better for rod balance, no matters with rings size, blank protected, i no longer build anything in split grip exept rods for shows ...

you 'll just had to short kdps, eva grip for kdps and ips screw to put the finger on the blank, it would be a blasphemy to do not with such a blank.

Guide pack in KR concept :

http://www.rodhouse.fr/fr/262-packs-kr-concept

7' power M or L (running guides in 5 or 4.5,to define according to your fisheries)

top in MNAT 5-.2, BMNAT 5-2 or MNST5-2 (or titanium ...)

http://www.rodhouse.fr/fr/57-serie-mn
Tanks Goulven!
We are on the same page when it comes to bears and handles. 8-) A proper handle are for real men who bashed some bears to death in their lifetime and skeletons are for the rest :mrgreen:
But even If I like full handles I'm not that keen for the IPS handles from Fuji. Do you have a long handle duplon kit for the VVS or the DNSP style reel seat?
I'm thinking of a VVS style handle with short KDPS or a Epoxy ramp style fore grip or a DNSP with a Short and damping KDPS as a hand support in the back.
Phhu! Hope you get my explanation , there's a lot of letters and concepts to consider when talking about this subject.

goulven
Site Admin

Message par goulven »

there's no shaped eva for DNPSM (?), a straight eva is ok, some people use long eva grip for ips 16, cut them just behind the hold for the real seat, and use it as a shaped eva long grip for straight real seat

For VSS 16 we use this grip :

http://www.rodhouse.fr/fr/poignees-prof ... 16683.html
www.rodhouse.fr

tout le matériel pour fabriquer sa propre canne à pêche

Self-Made-Fisherman

Slaz

Message par Slaz »

goulven a écrit :there's no shaped eva for DNPSM (?), a straight eva is ok, some people use long eva grip for ips 16, cut them just behind the hold for the real seat, and use it as a shaped eva long grip for straight real seat

For VSS 16 we use this grip :

http://www.rodhouse.fr/fr/poignees-prof ... 16683.html
Sorry, I did not explained well enough. Your right, there's no pre shaped EVA or other material for a DNSP seat, I just want a plain straight handle that's long enough in the back of the seat. And I don't know how long grip I need. When searching web shops there's not much straight longer duplon/EVA with a diameter of the bore that fits a narrow blank. There's no problem about the external shape of the Duplon/Eva, I have a pretty good lathe to take care of that detail.
So the idea of cutting the IPS grip may come handy if the bore diameter can be reamed to fit the blank.
Anyway, tanks for your suggestions, Goulven! :)

Répondre